The road will be closed between 8pm in the evening and 5am the next morning.
This means lots of traffic trying to divert down side roads into residential neighbourhoods UNLESS TfL gets its act together and does some decent signage BEFORE the Burdett Road traffic lights. They have proved completely incapable of doing this in the past - and MERA will be making representations.
The closure is part of Transport for London's scheme to create a Barclays™ Cycle Superhighway from Bow Roundabout to Aldgate. Their aim is to create commuter routes into Central London designed to break down the barriers that stop people cycling.
The precise dates are contained in the information that MERA has been sent by Transport for London.
I attach information regarding work to resurface the eastern section of Bow Road and part of Bow Roundabout. The work will require Bow Road to be closed between Campbell Road and Bow Roundabout at the following times:
Traffic diversions will be signed and advance warning notices provided. Bus routes 8/N8, 25, 108, 205, 276, 488 and D8 will be subject to diversions during the closures and details will de displayed in affected bus stops. Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times. Please see the letter for details. This letter is being delivered to local residents and businesses.
- Eastbound overnight between 20:00 – 05:00 for four nights from Monday 23 May – Thursday 26 May (dates are when closures start – road reopens at 05:00 the following morning)
- Westbound overnight between 20:00 – 05:00 on Friday 27 May, then consecutive nights between Monday 30 May – Friday 3 June (dates are when closures start – road reopens at 05:00 the following morning)
The new road surface will improve safety and comfort for all road users, and will have the added benefit of reducing noise from passing traffic.
Other local improvements on Bow Road and Bow Roundabout as part of Route 2 include:
Route 2 will launch in July 2011. Please see www.tfl.gov.uk/barclayscyclesuperhighways for more information or email email@example.com.
- New blue cycle surfacing, Advance Stop Lines and route logos
- Insetting of westbound parking bay between Bromley High Street and Campbell Road
- New traffic islands on Bow Roundabout to separate cyclists from general traffic
- Footway improvements