The area covered by the team can be seen in the map on the right.
As you can see this includes all the area covered by MERA.
This is what they say
You can meet the Mile End Safer Neighbourhoods Team on their website at http://www.met.police.uk/teams/towerhamlets/mileendeast/index.php.
Our team is comprised of Police Officers and Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and we are dedicated to making your neighbourhood a safer place to live in, work in and visit. We listen and talk to you, and find out what affects your daily life and feelings of security. Our priorities are then set by the local community and we work with you and other agencies to find a lasting solution.
You can contact us via e-mail or phone. As part of the Policing Pledge we will respond to every message directed to us within 24 hours. However, we are not a 24-hour response team, so if it is an emergency please call 999.
You can phone them on: 020 8721 2848 or 07769 641849
This is their newsletter for Autumn/Winter 2009. This highlights an issue affecting Eric Street.
Targeting youth nuisance
With the help and support of local residents, we have identified persistent youths causing anti-social behaviour in the Eric Street area. We have obtained Acceptable Behaviour Contracts to help resolve this issue. We are working closely with youth groups to educate young people about the consequences of their action.
Incident in Maplin Street
This is an update in relation to the recent assault on Maplin Street
- Officers were called to Maplin Street E3 at approximately 0245 on the morning of Saturday 28th November . On arrival they found a male aged in his early 20s with serious injuries including a number of cuts and lacerations. He was taken to hospital and is now said to be in a serious but stable condition. The area was subsequently cordoned off.
- Enquiries have revealed that the victim had been attacked by a group of three to four suspects following an argument in the street. There is no further description of the suspects who split up after the attack, two running away north towards Mile End and two heading south.
- The victim had been for a night out and was on his way home when the attack occurred behind the pub - restaurant on Maplin St on the corner just up from Mile End tube.
- Officers from Limehouse CID are investigating led by DI Stewart Garrick. He said:
"There's no doubt this young lad is lucky to be alive. The assault happened right by an estate so there must be some people who heard or saw what occurred. "We need to hear from them."
- Officers are keeping an open mind with regard to the motive for the attack.
Anyone with information should call the CID at Limehouse on 020 7275 4542
Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Two arrests have been made so far.